DUBYA

Before he finally leaves office I would like to place on record that I could never bring myself to dislike George Walker Bush. I thought him ineffably stupid, extraordinarily lacking in sensitivity and completely unqualified to hold the office of President of The United States. However I also believe that he was sincere in his beliefs and rather than the centre of a great conspiracy to enforce American hegemony believed that you could export the freedoms enjoyed by the American people by force, to the point of naiveté.
A recovered alcoholic he carried into the Oval Office all the solipsistic assumptions of this breed of born again human being, that is he believed sincerely in a personal God to whom he had a hotline. This belief, which is I suspect fairly common, if often less intense than in the ‘saved,’ is responsible for much mischief. Being held by the President of The United States it has bordered on the disastrous.

Popular posts from this blog

NESRINE MALIK AND THE UNSUNG VIRTUES OF HYPOCRISY

INTERVIEW WITH TOM VAGUE

LONDON BELONGS TO ME PART ONE