MANIFESTO

17/05/2010

With the threat of serious cuts in government spending it seems likely that unemployment, particularly in the public sector will rise. Others will find themselves in the same position as me.

This is my manifesto of how I intend to survive.

1) Never become a victim, by accident or design you have now become a ‘resistant.’ You will now need to learn how to fight back.

2) Never allow yourself to be guilt tripped by the banks, utilities or other services like Vodophone. The banks make their money out of debt, in some cases from whole countries or regions keeping millions in continued poverty. More locally free banking is only possible because of the money they make from those in debt, in this way the poorer customers subsidise the better off. They are avaricious, mean spirited and lacking in anything resembling empathy. As for the utilities they constantly charge poorer customers more. For all its soft voiced commercials Vodophone cut me off without any prior warning, with no knowledge of the state of my health.

3) Never allow yourself to be bullied or guilt tripped. Remember most of the calling centre minions you will deal with are little more than frightened rabbits scared themselves of falling through the net. However you have the right to be treated with respect and accorded dignity. If you are being bullied and intimidated know that in reality these people’s powers are legally restricted, providing you take proper advice from the CAB or some other reputable debt support service you have more power in your hands than you know. Try not to loose your temper; this can be very difficult as I can testify however it can be counter productive. Always remember services can be vindictive. Simply insist on being spoken to without being patronised or bullied, say that you will seek legal advice.

4) Learn how to live frugally without becoming obsessive or making a fetish out of it. Remember that making do with less is an act of resistance in a consumer society. Treat it as a game.

5) Use whatever means work for you to relax and escape the inevitable pressures, meditation, reading, going for walks by the canal, any spiritual activity if you are that way inclined, whatever works for you.

6) Don’t expect too much of services. For the most part you’re on your own/.

7) Finally remember you are not the only one in your predicament there are thousands locally suffering similar problems. Try to make contact if you feel able.

19:00

This is written 10 hours later; a typical day at present having been reassured twice by BT that they would not disconnect my phone I find the phone disconnected. Go to CAB, not interested in the phone, suggest I buy a mobile! Help with Housing and Council Tax Benefit but as all my payslips are sent electronically I must go to the Library becoming a member and manage to print these out, cost £2. Then to Housing Benefit Department which proves remarkably smooth. I assume that I can still receive incoming calls; this is a mistake as I test the system. I call BT from payphone and remind them of past promises. I am reassured that they will restore service. I decide to pay the bill this is not possible by cash. Call BT which provides no assistance indeed Rachel at the call centre is positively rude, her best suggestion is that I ask a friend to use their card for me! I arrive home shattered.. Going upstairs it occurs to me to knock on my neighbour’s door. He kindly offers to pay the bill and I give him the cash. One way I suppose of getting to know your neighbour.

Popular posts from this blog

NESRINE MALIK AND THE UNSUNG VIRTUES OF HYPOCRISY

INTERVIEW WITH TOM VAGUE

LONDON BELONGS TO ME PART ONE