NURSING A MUG OF TEA

“What possible good can come of any day that commences with getting out of bed?” So once observed an Austrian wit and there are days when you know what he is talking about. As it happens I am a morning person, always an early riser I start to fade as the evening settles in, though this has not made me immune from the occasional bouts of fear and loathing on waking.
The correct response to this state of affairs is a ‘good cup of tea.’ This should ideally be made in a pot, loose tea is better, however living in a top floor flat not very practicable respecting disposal,* so tea bags. For me the tea has to be strong so I opt for Assam. Pot must be warmed and water poured onto the tea bags the second it boils and then left for at least five minutes to brew.
Mug, not cup, tea in first then add milk, for me no sugar, which I think destroys the drink, though I am aware of contrary arguments. **

The first mug should be ‘nursed’ that is drunk slowly and reflectively, this is a moment for contemplation and coming to terms with the emerging day. When time is ripe for a second mug I am already somewhat more reconciled to the, sometimes still rather grim, prospect of engaging with the world.

*My mother used to place used tea leaves on plants believing that they were good for them, I don’t know whether this is true or not.

**I am also aware of the old joke that the English discovered a perfectly good drink called tea and reflected on how to screw it up, ‘I know we’ll add milk and sugar!’

Popular posts from this blog

NESRINE MALIK AND THE UNSUNG VIRTUES OF HYPOCRISY

INTERVIEW WITH TOM VAGUE

LONDON BELONGS TO ME PART ONE