BORIS TETOVSKI : MEMORIES OF A FRIEND



On Friday I was given the news of the death of someone I was proud to call a friend. Donne’s observation that,

 ‘Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind.’ [1]

Only ever feels true of the death of a friend. I wake this morning diminished, the world a poorer place.

Some people live using as little as thirty percent of their life force, some fifty, or even seventy five, rare is the person who throws themselves one hundred percent into the world, fully engaging with life. Bobby was just such a person. To live fully does not necessarily mean to live ‘well’ in the sense that that is most often propagated as being a good life. To live fully does not necessarily mean to live virtuously. Bobby lived life to the full but he was no saint, and to my mind the better for it.
 Bobby disdained religion and piety, though was strong on friendship and loyalty. Indeed sometimes he was loyal to those who harmed him and his best interests, and he knew that they did, though through generosity of spirit he forgave them. Being fully human himself he understood human frailty in a way the pious cannot.

Bobby must have been in his mid forties when I met him, though I was always unsure of Bobby’s age and anyhow someone’s age is always the least interesting thing about them. His real age was the age of defiance and rebellion, the age most often experienced from 17 to 25; he never outgrew it. One of his greatest loves was The Rolling Stones and his spirit was the Stones at their best, the Stones of Street Fighting Man and Jumping Jack Flash.

I met him in the early hours of a summer morning in 2001, in Tsaravo on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, I have written about this elsewhere. http://alextalbot.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/bobby.html

I had an instant affinity with Bobby; it was not just his bonhomie or avuncular manner but something deeper, initially hidden from him, it was a shared symbiotic relationship with alcohol. Though at the time when I first met Bobby I was teetotal.
My friendship with Bobby grew over the years as I spent more and more time in Bulgaria and Bobby ceased to be just a generous and big hearted hotelier and became my friend.
One morning during the summer of 2002 I was sitting outside a small café in Sofia finishing breakfast when my mobile rang. It was Bobby, could I meet him in about ten minutes time?
I quickly finished my breakfast and hurried to the agreed rendezvous point. Bobby asked me to clamber into the small minibus that became so synonymous with Bobby, the ‘yellow submarine.’ He was vague about where we were going and uncharacteristically secretive, simply saying “I need a witness when I sign some documents.” Shortly we arrived at a small municipal building where we were greeted by Maggie.
The tale of Bobby and Maggie’s relationship would itself form the basis of an interesting story. Suffice to say that having divorced some years previously they had now decided to get back together.
It took me a few minutes to realise we were at a registry office and I was there to witness their re-marriage.
Ever after Bobby always referred to me as his ‘best man.’ I have enjoyed no greater honour.

The story of a friendship is the story of a thousand moments of intimacy, argument, empathy, and most importantly laughter. I laughed a great deal with Bobby. He had lived through Communism, I only knew Communist era jokes, and he loved my communist satire. Humour, either in its belly laugh,- and Bobby had plenty of spare tyre to gyrate when laughing, - or its ironic variety, provided a thread throughout our friendship.
We argued too; I remember Maggie putting her head around the door of the so appropriately named Bobby’s Café, to find out what we were arguing about. “Bakunin,” I announced to a bemused Maggie who shrugged her shoulders and told Bobby to keep the noise down.
Keeping the noise down however was not in Bobby’s nature, the music must always be loud. Bobby’s musical tastes were in complete harmony with my own. ‘Gimme Shelter’ never sounded so good as it did belting out of the bar’s sound system, rocking a Sinemoretz basking in the heat of a July afternoon.
One memory; over the course of an afternoon, which on our separate journeys throughout a day when, we had both consumed large quantities of varying assortments of alcoholic spirit I made my way back to the Villa Philadelphia. Bobby greeted me with his usual effusion and we both repaired to the bar. In clouds of cigarette smoke and with the taste of ice cold beer in our mouths we belted out the chorus of Bob Dylan’s ‘Rainy Day Woman.’

‘But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned’

I felt the years fall away.

Written like, that cold and lifeless on the page, the memory feels flat. Of course the thousand moments that go to make up a friendship are by their very nature incommunicable.

The last time I saw Bobby was in September 2009, the holiday season was over and the coming winter felt like a threatening presence, both to Sinemoretz and to my self. Inadvertently Bobby caused some friction between me and my girlfriend and it saddens me more than I can say that this clouded our last meeting.
We embraced and parted and I am, I think, grateful that I did not know it was the last time I would see him. Better to think of that extraordinary life force continuing to dynamite its way through time.

We spoke I think maybe three times on the phone after that, though the conversations were short and to the point. A great wheeler and dealer on the phone it was not for Bobby an instrument for intimacy, he was a face to face person.

I know that Bobby touched the lives of many people who stayed at the Villa Philadelphia. I was one of the lucky ones honoured to be able to call him friend.
 When reflecting upon loss cliché intrudes and cannot be avoided. Bobby greatly enriched my life and the world is a poorer place for his light having gone out. I will miss him greatly. 



[1] MEDITATION XVII Devotions upon Emergent Occasions John Donne

Having visited this page I would be grateful for your feedback, either tick one of the boxes below or make a comment via the comments button.

Popular posts from this blog

NESRINE MALIK AND THE UNSUNG VIRTUES OF HYPOCRISY

INTERVIEW WITH TOM VAGUE

LONDON BELONGS TO ME PART ONE