A MESSAGE FROM THE PRIME MINISTER

A WARNING

I am speaking directly to you tonight from 10 Downing Street to request the patience and support from you the great British people whom I know now, as so often in the past, will come together in the face of the grave national crisis we now face. For I know that only when we are united can we tackle the problems that beset us.
 I know too that many of you are angry about the shortage of some medical supplies and some items of food. I share your anger. For let me be clear, this crisis is not of my making but has come about because of the intransigence of a few foreign powers, sadly assisted by some in our own country, and their refusal to allow us to depart the EU amicably. The attempt to impose heavy burdens upon our industry and commerce by the EU must and will be resisted. However, in the short term this will mean some continuing hardship, but this country did not win two world wars by being afraid of hardship and once again those who wish to defeat us will witness our grit and determination. We will emerge victorious.
I want now to address now some of the concerns that have been expressed, not only by those with ill will toward this country,but some decent and honourable people  about some of the measures I have been forced to take. I know some have very genuine concerns about the suspension of Parliament and the curtailment of some civil liberties. I can assure you I took such measures with the greatest reluctance and only in the best interests of the safety and security of all citizens. I am afraid that when Parliament is no longer acting in the national interest it is incumbent upon the Prime Minister to step in and take charge of the situation.
Again, with respect to the temporary restrictions on the right of assembly and measures to combat fear mongering, these measures were taken only as a last resort. As to the night-time curfew this again represented the paramount need to protect people and property. I have sought to create conditions in which no law-abiding person need fear for their safety.
Finally, I must put to rest some of the wilder rumours circulating about my political opponents. The idea that I have placed some people into some sort of concentration camp is offensive both to me and the members of my administration. It is true that some, including the former leader of the opposition have been assisted into secure environments, but this, given the level of anger I have already addressed, is only for their own safety. Though I might add that given some of the inflammatory and  ill-advised statements made by some in recent months it is a state of affairs they have brought upon themselves
Shortly the government will be announcing measures to ensure that everybody gets the food they need. We will also be announcing the names of one hundred and fifty regional commissioners and I will be ensuring that they have the powers they need to ensure safety and security in your region.
So I want you all to know that tonight you can sleep soundly in the knowledge that I and the government are working flat out to ensure the welfare, safety and security of all law abiding citizens of this great country of ours.
Goodnight and God save the Queen.

Popular posts from this blog

NESRINE MALIK AND THE UNSUNG VIRTUES OF HYPOCRISY

INTERVIEW WITH TOM VAGUE

LONDON BELONGS TO ME PART ONE