LONDON LETTER SEPTEMBER 2019


History, to adapt a phrase, is what happens when you are busy making other plans. As we enter a decisive week in the whole sorry Brexit saga there are two possible scenarios, Parliament folds and we see the beginning of the decline of parliamentary democracy, or Johnson’s crude power bid is seen off and Parliament emerges both victorious and enhanced.
For the Conservative party these are the end of days. Certainly, a right of centre, indeed right wing party may emerge, but it will no longer be the party of the Union, of small c conservatism, of constitutional conformity and respect for tradition. Johnson’s gamble has compromised the Queen and placed the Tory party on a collusion course with the Union. Things can never be the same again. This is no longer just about Brexit but whether the UK as currently constituted remains intact and what sort of democracy emerges if Johnson gets his way. For make no mistake, the system, as Carole Cadwalladr has made clear has, and continues to be, rigged in favour of the populist right. Where Trump and Orban have gone, Johnson now seeks to follow.
As I write this Parliament has stood up to Johnson’s bullying tactics and defeated him by a significant margin. He has also lost his majority as one of his party have crossed the floor of the House and joined the Liberal Democrats. Moreover the ensuing Commons performance was woeful,  which should come as no surprise to those familiar with his performance at Mayors question time when he governed the city.
This may all mean nothing as he is capable of factoring in, indeed of welcoming the destruction of the Tory centre, for he is a divide and rule man. Much will depend on Corbyn not falling in to the traps that Johnson will set for him. It is not over yet by any means
.
Recently visited the Olafur Eliasson ‘In Real Life,*’ at the Tate Modern with a friend. The stand out element being an installation called Blind Alley.
I queued for a brief period. The people around me hummed as multiple mobile phones took multiple pictures. I was surrounded by amusement, anxiety, anticipation, excitement, this was the ‘community’ of strangers to which Olafur refers, - in a statement written on a wall before you enter the exhibition, - to which I now belonged. Then the door opened and I entered an impenetrable, strange tasting, fog which appeared to have an orange tinge to it.

 I walked forward, quickly I think, -for I cannot be sure as the whole experience had a dreamlike quality. I certainly placed some distance between me and the disembodied voices in my vicinity. It was then that I paused and looked around. The ghostly figure of an attractive, -she had stood beside me in the queue, - young woman in white stood momentarily framed, arms held aloft in a pose, a strange dance, her arms dropping then rising again before being swallowed by the fog and the sound of laughter. I turned facing forward again putting distance between myself and others for a moment feeling as if the room had no exit.
When the door came into vision, with the word ‘push’ I felt a strong desire to remain within this viscous, sweet tasting cloud. But, reluctantly I left.
I have always liked fog, the essence of which is brilliantly captured by Jean Paul Sartre in Nausea. Anything feels possible in fog. It renders the familiar and banal strange, it generates uncertainty and anxiety and makes fully conscious the sense of movement, immobility and space.
In truth, I had never heard of Olafur Eliasson before now and it was by pure serendipity that my friend and I stumbled upon the opening day of the exhibition. It was crowded, very crowded and queuing formed a major element of the experience, since he exhorted visitors to engage with the pop up community that the exhibition had created. Given my personality unsurprisingly my success respecting this part of the experience was extremely limited.
It was the Blind alley that stayed with me in that strange period following an exhibition, which in our case invariably involves a late lunch.
Two things differentiate the experience from merely closing one’s eyes or entering a dark room. Firstly, your eyes are open, you can ‘see.’ Secondly is the presence not of darkness but of vivid bright light. You ‘see’ the light, dense, intense, as opaque as window blinds, for that is all you can see as you Shuffle slowly forward, experiencing only ‘blind’ movement.
Sensory deprivation can be and sometimes is used as a form of torture, yet also, as here, as a form of stimulation of ‘entertainment. The line is a thin one, and indeed on my second visit some weeks later a woman brushed passed me, clearly uncomfortable with the experience. It is a curious feature of the human condition, this flirtation with experiences that place us outside our comfort zone. For myself what I find stimulating is the creativity inspired by such deliberate derangement of the senses.
*Runs until 5th January 2020. 



So now the Notting Hill Carnival is over for another year and autumn hints at its coming arrival.  Boris Johnson speaks, Donald Trump speaks and we all must build our  own shelters against the cloud of flatulence threatening to engulf us.

AT September 3rd 2019




Popular posts from this blog

NESRINE MALIK AND THE UNSUNG VIRTUES OF HYPOCRISY

INTERVIEW WITH TOM VAGUE

LONDON BELONGS TO ME PART ONE